Skip to Content

Why You Should File a Police Report After an Accident

Traffic police filing report

There's a lot of bad information on the internet claiming that you should never, under any circumstances, speak to police without an attorney present. That's not entirely true. In fact, most personal injury attorneys recommend calling for a police officer immediately after the crash. That's because filing a police report after a car accident may be your best hope of a fair settlement.

What a Police Report Does For You

A police report is an objective public record documenting the accident. It is the first piece of evidence your attorney and the insurance companies will look at because it proves that an accident occurred, demonstrates who was involved and may indicate who was at fault.

In a rear-ending accident, for example, the police might issue a following too closely ticket. In a sense, this places the burden on the at-fault driver and adds support to the case for just compensation.

Why You Should Insist on a Police Report

After an accident, many drivers will plead against getting the police involved. Don't give in. The police report is your best piece of evidence. Moreover, it helps verify the other driver's license and information.

If the other driver showed you a fake ID or insurance card, you'd have no way to contact them in the future. You might be stuck arguing with your insurance company. However, a police report will verify the information and make it public, ensuring that you can receive a settlement from their insurance company.

Just remember that your words appear on the police report as well. You should be careful about what you say during the report. Saying the wrong thing might shift the blame and make it more difficult to recover the compensation you deserve.

If you or someone you love suffered serious injuries in a car accident, you might have a case. If you'd like an experienced Geneva car accident attorney from Turner Law Group to evaluate your case, please send us an email or call (800) 653-0198.